Leadership in One to One Schools
OTO offers a One-to-One Implementation ProtocolTM designed to guide the planning and implementation process, as well as the development of leadership and instructional practices that will lead to a successful and sustainable 1:1 program. OTO is the only organization in the world to design a comprehensive approach to 1:1 implementation based on our Project RED research and 7 Implementation Components.
OTO facilitates the development and implementation of a sustainable 1:1 program by engaging all key constituents in the following critical success factors:
A vision for the personalization of learning through the seamless integration of content standards, curriculum, instruction, and technology.
- 2nd order change leadership
- Strategic planning and action
- Support and capacity development
The Initial Leadership Session is customized to address the immediate needs of the district.
OTO Leadership Consultants continue to support the district leadership team through the entire planning and implementation process. Support consists of:
- Regularly scheduled conference calls to guide planning, and implementation
- Consult, as needed, on issues identified by the district
- Recommend or provide leadership training identified in partnership with the district
- Guide the development of building level leadership
- Identify and address any other implementation gaps that may arise
The Principal’s Academy is 2-day in-depth professional learning experience focused on 2nd order change leadership. Participants will learn through experiences and insights of other principals, examine their own leadership style and practices, and begin to define action steps in OTO's 7 essential implementation components. The components include:
- Transformational leadership and second-order change
- Financial planning, project management, and capacity building
- Instructional leadership: curriculum and instruction
- Professional development
- Hardware, software, and infrastructure needs and choices
- Assessment and evaluation
The content and length of the course is also customizable to best meet the needs of the district.
OTO's co-authored research, Project RED, clearly articulates the importance of principal leadership to the successful implementation of education technology. Transforming learning and personalizing the learning experience through technology is a 2nd order change, and the principal must facilitate this change. This can be very challenging and principals need to have the tools and support to be successful. OTO has found ongoing virtual mentorship to be an effective mode for the professional growth of principals, without being cost prohibitive. The mentoring sessions are ongoing (at least monthly) hour-long discussions facilitated by an OTO Leadership Consultant. A variety of technology tools are embedded in the sessions, as well as a content focus that may include, but is not limited to:
- Envisioning the transformation
- Characteristics of an instructional leader
- Empower staff and students
- Being the change you want to see
- Modeling the use of technology for administrative efficiency